Biggy-Ziggy
 
Wednesday, June 24, 2009
Wordy Wednesday: Birthday Brain
So, the let down begins (sort of). The decorations are down, and almost all the presents open, the birthday party let down has begun (for me, really. Goose is always constant in her excitement for anything from a marble chase track to being able to crack eggs for breakfast. I miss the fun colors and silly stuff in the house.)

I got to thinking as I weighed tacky versus eccentric labels and whether or not the witch who proclaims "you stink" and sticks her tongue out at you should be left in the bathroom year round, what are our favorite birthday books?

Birthday Monsters
is a must for young readers. I can recite it for you right here, right now. It's well timed fun and leaves me wanting Trix, which I've never even tried before. By now Boynton is a staple for anyone with young kids and I'm sure most of you have read this, so you've got your own conclusions, but to me this gives me hope for when Goose or Monkey seem shunned by other kids on the playground. In my mind I'm thinking "it's all for show. These kids will be at our house cleaning it up for penance in no time".

Birthday Fish by Dan Yaccarino is a great one. It is a wonderful message about being happy with what you've got. We read this one over and over two years ago when Goose got "Blue" her red betta that is still going strong--no replacements necessary, got that, Friend who thought we deceived Goose and made the flush and a trip to the pet store? And while, I feel like this style of illustration is a bit too easy, it does have lots of fun colors and patterns for the eye.




Then there's Birthday for Bear by Bonny Becker. Now this one doesn't come out until Sept. 8th, the day before my birthday and the day after my brother's (my parents had great timing). I liked Visitor for Bear very much, which is another story of friend making by Becker, so that her Bear character is returning with festivities makes me think this will be on my birthday wish list. Becker's charm and sweetness is not too over the top and Christmas Crocodile was a big hit around here last year, so this one could be a great birthday staple.

How about you? What are your favorite birthday books?
posted by Lori @ 2:06 AM  
0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Speak up!

<< Home
 
About Me

Name: Lori
Home: Sacramento-ish, California, United States
About Me: I want to make things better.
See my complete profile
Previous Post
Archives
Blogrolling
Powered by

Blogger Templates

BLOGGER