Biggy-Ziggy
 
Saturday, June 6, 2009
Wordy Wednesday--Although it's Technically Saturday
Last Wednesday we picked out The Happy Prince and Other Tales by Oscar Wilde. Our library didn't have much to choose from as far as different editions go, and Goose wanted the one that had little to no pictures.

I really wouldn't recommend it for three year olds, but since she had grabbed it and while, I had read de Profundis and The Importance of Being Earnest, I had never read his kids stories, so I said it's ok (besides, Goose is the weird kid who liked Sir Gawain and the Green Knight last summer). If you go for this story, you might try one like this that is just the Prince.

It's a really great story, though (if you like downer endings). I thought the villagers comments were timeless for class struggles. The moral of giving all that you can is easily understood and Goose kept saying it was like her sharing with brother. She and I both cried at the end, but I don't think it was anything traumatic.

I also read "the Remarkable Rocket", which was weird with its talking fireworks, but again had those lines that made me think, "is that a pompous rocket, or that guy I knew in my Eng294 class?".

Ziggy read "the Nightingale and the Rose" and hated it. He kept trying to stop reading it. It was a pretty sad story about love, too. (Not like He's Just Not That Into You, which by the way, makes me like Justin Long, despite Drag Me to Hell and Jeepers Creepers.)

So, how bout it, any books from the traditional lit canon that you've attempted with your kiddos?
posted by Lori @ 1:06 AM  
0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Speak up!

<< Home
 
About Me

Name: Lori
Home: Sacramento-ish, California, United States
About Me: I want to make things better.
See my complete profile
Previous Post
Archives
Blogrolling
Powered by

Blogger Templates

BLOGGER