Biggy-Ziggy
 
Thursday, November 19, 2009
An Open Letter to Overly Friendly Cashiers
Dearest Overly Friendly Cashiers,

I know you probably have never received a cease and desist plea like this, but please take this one to heart.

Shut up. Don't get me wrong, I'm fine with the casual "how are you doing today?"s and the "did you find everything you were looking for?"s I'm even fine when you give me an extremely short anecdote about a product, but if you create a line because you're flapping your gums then we've got a problem.

What's wrong with you? You're in training remember? Black Friday and all that... You cannot possibly think it's appropriate with five people in your line to tell me about your grandson's abnormal hugeness and then try to get my phone number for a playdate with your daughter. I also don't want to hear about your personal history with constipation and your home remedies in how to alleviate it, especially when my kids are ripping each others' hair out.

Do not pick up each item we are purchasing and give us a review. Do not lecture me on the safety of wearing my son or not having my daughter on a leash. Do not call others over to comment on my purchase or my family.

And to you, overly friendly cashiers who are overly friendly with one another, seriously? Quit it! You're getting paid to work, not talk about sleeping over at your boyfriend's house and who did what to whom, even if the kids aren't around, keep it PG at least and try to scan the items while you are determined to never look at your customer and only at your fellow cashier. I will not scan and bag my own items again.

Having been a cashier for three years, I know it gets boring. It's fun to break from the routine dialog of the day, but know your audience.

Warmest Regards,
Lori
posted by Lori @ 6:01 AM  
0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Speak up!

<< Home
 
About Me

Name: Lori
Home: Sacramento-ish, California, United States
About Me: I want to make things better.
See my complete profile
Previous Post
Archives
Blogrolling
Powered by

Blogger Templates

BLOGGER