Biggy-Ziggy
 
Wednesday, July 29, 2009
Wordy Wednesday: My Father's Dragon

Goose is growing up. Her hair is halfway down her back, she can put her own dishes in the sink and she says profound things that blow my mind (Last night; Goose: Mommy, Daddy, you know time takes time.)

So we've been reading chapter books lately. We started with Dahl, did some Blume, read the first Harry Potter (which might have been a little too scary and she says she'll watch the movie "when she's a little older" though she still goes around the house saying "wingardium leviosa!") and now we've just finished the My Father's Dragon series by Ruth Stiles Gannett.

There are three books in the series. The final one, The Dragons of Bluebeard was Goose's favorite, I think because of the flowers surrounding the dragons' home. The books follow pretty simple plotlines with Elmer Elevator overcoming about three obstacles to achieve his goal, which is most often free the dragon.

I think it was a pretty good entry level book and could be great examples for charting a storyline. My neighbor, a former teacher read them with her first grade class, but I think they would easily be read with three year olds (especially if your three year old likes to sit on your back while you read and do your hair!). The biggest drawback to me is that it's pretty dry, like all the humor of Watty Piper's The Little Engine that Could. I was a bit bored, but clearly not Goose, who conned me into reading an entire book in one day (but oh, did my hair look good!)
posted by Lori @ 6:11 AM  
0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Speak up!

<< Home
 
About Me

Name: Lori
Home: Sacramento-ish, California, United States
About Me: I want to make things better.
See my complete profile
Previous Post
Archives
Blogrolling
Powered by

Blogger Templates

BLOGGER