Biggy-Ziggy
 
Thursday, May 14, 2009
Wordy Wednesday: Matilda

Given Goose's love of tormenting her brother and our doling out the punishment, constantly taking away privileges like hot chocolate, I thought it might be good to show her the other side of the coin.

That's why we're reading Matilda by Roald Dahl. The parents in this book are mean and terrible and I think it does a pretty good job to demonize the television. So as we're reading it, I catch Goose covering her mouth because she worries so much about the little girl who starts out at age four (which she might as well be, the way she's ticking off days until her birthday--40 to be exact) and I think either it's scaring her, or she's understanding how much we love her. I'd like to think it's the latter, since when we stop reading she goes all crazy-eyed and jumps into my arms, or gives me a big kiss.

It has some great school scenes, too, even if Goose tells me she wants to eat the whole cake. Truchbull is an amazing bad guy and I like that there's no real physical violence--that might scare her. I can't wait for Goose to get to Matilda's powers in the book, she loves magic, and no offense to Ziggy, Matilda's powers blow his magic tricks out of the water.

I wish that I hadn't seen the movie, though, because I can't get that girl from Mrs. Doubtfire out of my head. Ironically, given the evils esposed by the book of the telly, I'd really like Goose to see it too, just to show her different interpretations of the book (because didn't they set it in America? My voices are definitely UK inspired, as sometimes we slip into Russian or Jamaican with the accent!)

I need to get the movie on our queue quick because we'll probably be done tomorrow. Does anyone know, were there any other movies of Matilda made?
posted by Lori @ 5:43 AM  
4 Comments:
  • At May 14, 2009 at 10:59 PM, Blogger Becca said…

    You've been tagged. http://beccasbackyard.blogspot.com/2009/05/six-unimportant-things-that-make-me.html

     
  • At May 15, 2009 at 3:50 PM, Blogger Jennae said…

    You know, I never thought to use Matilda as a scare tactic, but it just might work for my almost-4-year-old-who-thinks-she's-25 too :)

     
  • At May 17, 2009 at 6:43 AM, Blogger Kimberly Grabinski said…

    Can you believe we have never read or seen Matilda? I think maybe I'll go see if the library has it because my son is 5 going on 40.

    Great idea!

     
  • At May 22, 2009 at 2:34 AM, Blogger Eryn said…

    I REALLY bonded with Matilda when I was a little girl. I still love that book (and Roald Dahl is still my favorite author!)

    I do believe that the Matilda movie was set in the states, and I don't think that they made any other versions of it.

    Nobody's childhood or education is complete without a big helping of Dahl!

    Thanks for stopping by my blog today!

     

Post a Comment

Speak up!

<< Home
 
About Me

Name: Lori
Home: Sacramento-ish, California, United States
About Me: I want to make things better.
See my complete profile
Previous Post
Archives
Blogrolling
Powered by

Blogger Templates

BLOGGER