Biggy-Ziggy
 
Wednesday, January 12, 2011
MLK for Kindergarten

I'm all for teaching Martin Luther King's message, teaching about his life, his death, his techniques, in essence, the history.

But how for a kindergartner?

Goose and I have talked of Dr. King and I've tried with little success to read "Letters from Birmingham Jail", but to be fair, I saw twenty somethings cribbing it in college too. You're in good company, Goose. Last year we did some lesson plans from this teacher site to go with some coloring sheets.

So faced with the difficulty of engaging kids with history and few active visual projects, what did Goose's class do?

Crowns.

Crowns!

Crowns? A play on his last name being "King" is my only answer. And while I love a good pun, it just doesn't fit. Maybe it's something like, "if you were ruler for a day, what injustice would you change?" But does that work in our democracy? That same democracy whose foundations King cites in his most famous of speeches, "I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed: 'We hold these truths to be self-evident: that all men are created equal'".

And I gotta say, even when I tried to show Goose, the tv addict, a youtube video of his "I Have a Dream" speech, she wasn't interested. But the first thing that she talked about when she got home from school?

Crowns.
posted by Lori @ 12:09 AM  
4 Comments:
  • At January 19, 2011 at 8:55 PM, Anonymous Sarah said…

    I had a problem teaching this holiday, too. Part of me wanted to not talk about it at all. We live in a nation where we have a BLACK president now. There are so many African American men and women that hold positions of power and prestige this day and age that the days of MLK seem so far away. While I think it's important to teach history, I thought, "Why do I even want to bring up the idea that one race hated another simple because of the color of their skin into the head of this precious little boy who doesn't notice skin color, disabilities, etc?"

     
  • At January 30, 2011 at 3:02 PM, Anonymous kara noel said…

    LOL!! That is too funny. I think crowns is quit a stretch but maybe it will stick?

     
  • At February 9, 2011 at 5:52 PM, Blogger Frogs in my formula said…

    She's made a memory for an important day. I'd call it a success.

     
  • At August 7, 2011 at 1:49 PM, Anonymous Candace said…

    We have done rainbow paper doll chains and rainbow handprint wreathes.

     

Post a Comment

Speak up!

<< Home
 
About Me

Name: Lori
Home: Sacramento-ish, California, United States
About Me: I want to make things better.
See my complete profile
Previous Post
Archives
Blogrolling
Powered by

Blogger Templates

BLOGGER